Wednesday, August 29, 2012

In a Perfect World



Imagine there's no heaven.
It's easy if you try.
No hell below us.
Above us only sky.
Imagine all the people living for today.
Imagine there's no countries.
It isn't hard to do.
Nothing to kill or die for.
And no religion too.
Imagine all the people living life in peace.
You, you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope some day you'll join us.
And the world will be as one.
Imagine no possessions.
I wonder if you can.
No need for greed or hunger.
A brotherhood of man.
Imagine all the people sharing all the world.
You, you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope some day you'll join us.
And the world will live as one.

My sister called me this morning to tell me about Jack's first two days of school.
She said when she picked up Jack from school, he was so excited to tell her about what a great day he had.
He said he made a new friend and they had so much fun playing!!
Leah asked him what his friend's name was and he said,"I don't know."

Tuesday, she picks him up from school. He goes on and on about his new friend and again....how much fun they had together.

Leah: So, what's his name?
Jack: I don't know.
Leah: How come you don't his name yet?
Jack: Cause I can't understand him.
Leah: Why not?
Jack: I don't know. I just can't. He don't talk like me.
Leah: What does he look like?
Jack: Umm, he has brown hair and brown skin and him has silver teeth.

haha. Apparently Jack's new best friend is Mexican and has yet to learn English.
Leah asked him how they play if they can't communicate. He says they just point and wave to each other, or pat the seat next to them to let them know they want to sit by each other. And.....they just play.

I thought that was the sweetest thing ever.
It made me remember being a kid.

Color, looks, clothes, cleanliness, money....nothing mattered at that age.
All you cared about was having friends. Whether you could understand them or not....or had anything in common, really at all. Just as long as you can play....we'll be friends.

What a wonderful world this would be, if adults still had that mentality!
To overlook race.
To overlook class.
To overlook all the things that don't really matter, and just see that the person in front of you is just that......a person. Someone you can get along with, if you just make the effort. No matter how opposite you are. We are all made in God's image. We are all just flesh and blood. With feelings, problems, family, love, insecurities, wants and needs.
We are all the same.

Take a look at kindergartner's while playing. How they interact with each other.
No fear of rejection.
No fear of being judged.
They just want to play. Make friends. Have fun.

If only we all had the perspective of my 5 year old nephew.

He's my hero. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...